Basic Theology: Sufficiency of Scriptures Part 04

 Sufficiency of Scriptures Part 04

Previous: Sufficiency of Scriptures Part 03

What is lacking in the modern-day Christians?
    ➢ Reading the Word,
    ➢ Obeying the Word,
    ➢ Living it out,
    ➢ Teaching the Word, and
    ➢ Proclaiming the Word.

The reason for this is that they don’t understand the truth about the sufficiency of the Scriptures.

Psalms 19 and 119
God’s World – Verses 1-6
God’s Word – Verses 7-11
God’s Way – Verses 12-14

Let us look at God’s Word from Verses 7 to 11.
7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul;
The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;
8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes;
9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;
The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
10 More to be desired are they than gold,
Yea, than much fine gold;
Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11 Moreover by them Your servant is warned,
And in keeping them there is great reward.

Verses 7-9
Six parameters for the Word of God

Six times in these three verses we read “of the Lord.”

    1. The law of the Lord,
    2. The testimony of the Lord,
    3. The statutes of the Lord,
    4. The commandment of the Lord,
    5. The fear of the Lord, and
    6. The judgments of the Lord.

We can see clearly that the source of these words is from the Lord God only! Six times the covenant name of God, Yahweh, is used to identify the source of the sufficient Word.

This Psalm is nothing but God’s own testimony to the sufficiency of Scripture for all spiritual needs.

1. The Law of the Lord
2. The testimony of the Lord
3. The Statute of the Lord
V8, The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;

Where does a believer find joy?
To the world?
Alcohol, Drugs, cigarette, cinema, drama, sports etc

Where does a believer go to find relief, happiness, deliverance from sorrow, anxiety, and depression?
Where is the resource?

The psalmist says that it’s the Word of God.
The Word of God is the one that rejoices the heart.

The term here for Scripture is the word “statute.”
Means it embodies divine teaching.
    ✓ Divine principles,
    ✓ Divine precepts, and
    ✓ Divine guidelines.

God promises Solomon that He will fulfil with him the promise He made to his father, David.

1 Kings 6:12, “Concerning this temple which you are building, if you walk in My statutes, execute My judgments, keep all My commandments, and walk in them, then I will perform My word with you, which I spoke to your father David.

God’s Statutes:
✓ listen to God’s voice
✓ do what God considers to be right
✓ listen to his commandments

Keep his statutes
Exodus 15:25-26, So he cried out to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a tree. When he cast it into the waters, the waters were made sweet. There He made a statute and an ordinance for them, and there He tested them, 26 and said, “If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you.”

What are God statutes?
Deuteronomy 6:1-9, “Now this is the commandment, and these are the statutes and judgments which the Lord your God has commanded to teach you, that you may observe them in the land which you are crossing over to possess, 2 that you may fear the Lord your God, to keep all His statutes and His commandments which I command you, you and your son and your grandson, all the days of your life, and that your days may be prolonged. 3 Therefore hear, O Israel, and be careful to observe it, that it may be well with you, and that you may multiply greatly as the Lord God of your fathers has promised you—‘a land flowing with milk and honey.’
4 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one! 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.
6 “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

V1, God’s commandments are his rules and statutes. So, anything God says in the Bible, Commandments, rules, and statutes seem to be interchangeable according to this verse.

God’s Commandments (Rules and Statutes): love God with your heart, soul, and might

Psalms 119:1-8, Blessed are the undefiled in the way, Who walk in the law of the Lord! 2 Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, Who seek Him with the whole heart! 3 They also do no iniquity; They walk in His ways. 4 You have commanded us To keep Your precepts diligently. 5 Oh, that my ways were directed To keep Your statutes! 6 Then I would not be ashamed, When I look into all Your commandments. 7 I will praise You with uprightness of heart, When I learn Your righteous judgments. 8 I will keep Your statutes; Oh, do not forsake me utterly!

Psalms 119:153-160, Consider my affliction and deliver me, For I do not forget Your law. 154 Plead my cause and redeem me; Revive me according to Your word. 155 Salvation is far from the wicked, For they do not seek Your statutes. 156 Great are Your tender mercies, O Lord; Revive me according to Your judgments. 157 Many are my persecutors and my enemies, Yet I do not turn from Your testimonies. 158 I see the treacherous, and am disgusted, Because they do not keep Your word. 159 Consider how I love Your precepts; Revive me, O Lord, according to Your lovingkindness. 160 The entirety of Your word is truth, And every one of Your righteous judgments endures forever.

The Scripture is full of guidelines for living for us from God.

V 8, “they are right.”
That is to say
    ✓ They show the true path
    ✓ They give you right guidance
    ✓ They guide you in the proper way to true understanding.

Imagine a person guiding his ship in the middle of the Ocean without the compass? Similar way we were when we are walking without the Word of God.

We have a true Word of God to follow.
Result: We walk on the right path that rejoices the heart.

True joy comes from,
    ✓ following the Word of God,
    ✓ applying its principles,
    ✓ walking in its precepts and pathway.

Jeremiah during the times of worst trouble he was experiencing,
    ✓ stress,
    ✓ rejection of his message,
    ✓ rejection of his person, and
    ✓ disaster falling on his entire nation
Where did he go?
What did he seek?

Jeremiah 15:16, Your words were found, and I ate them, And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts.

Jeremiah said that the joy comes to him through the Word of God.

Apostle John when he writes his epistle, he writes this beautifully. 1 John 1:4, And these things we write to you that your joy may be full.

The Word of God gives testimony to the fact that it is the source of joy. When you walk in obedience to the will of God and you move on that right path, it rejoices the heart.

Do we have to have voices from heaven?
Do we have to have the visitation from the angels?
Do we have to encounter supernatural experiences and miracles?
Do we have to depend upon the mystical science of the mind?

Why can’t you just follow the Word of God?

Those who might be
    ➢ Depressed,
    ➢ Anxious,
    ➢ Fearful,
    ➢ Doubting,
    ➢ Not knowing what direction to go,
    ➢ Sufferings emotional and Physical

Turn to the Word of God for the solutions, the answers, the guidance, and the direction that turns their sorrow into joy!

Psalms 119:14, I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, As much as in all riches.

Psalms 119:54, Your statutes have been my songs In the house of my pilgrimage.

Psalms 119:76, Let, I pray, Your merciful kindness be for my comfort, According to Your word to Your servant.

Psalms 119:111, Your testimonies I have taken as a heritage forever, For they are the rejoicing of my heart.

My prayer is that everyone who hears this message will be excited about the things of the Word of God. My prayer is also
that who preach the Gospel would present the gospel of the
Word of God and not a gospel of promised prosperity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basic Theology: Index

Basic Theology: Election

Jewish Wedding Parallel - Second Coming of Jesus - John 14:1-3