Basic Theology: Sufficiency of Scriptures Part 03 - The testimony of the Lord

2. The testimony of the Lord,

Previous: 1. The Law of the Lord

V7, The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;

David takes another step in building this tremendous magnificent presentation of scriptural sufficiency.

He uses the word “testimony” now he looks at the Word of God as divine witness. In other words that the Word of God is that God giving testimony about Himself, who He is and what He requires.

The testimony of God to Himself in the Word of God, is sure.
What is the contrast to sure?
    o unsure,
    o insecure,
    o wavering,
    o changing,
    o shifting,
    o unreliable, and
    o untrustworthy.
But the Word of the living God is sure.
Sure means,
    ✓ unwavering,
    ✓ immovable,
    ✓ unmistakable,
    ✓ worthy to be trusted and
    ✓ reliable.

The Word of God provides a foundation on which one can build his life and eternal destiny without any hesitation.

Peter remembers what happened while he was with Jesus.

2 Peter 1:17-21, For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” 18 And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain. 19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Experience, supernatural experience, signs, and wonders have their place. Peter says, “There is a more sure word than this.” And that word is the Scripture, the Scripture given as holy men were moved by the Spirit of God.

What is its benefit?
Making wise the simple.
The root of the Hebrew word for “simple” is the idea of an open door.

A simple person is a person who is
    ✓ Undiscerning,
    ✓ don’t know when to shut the door,
    ✓ don’t know what to close out,
    ✓ Let everything comes in,
    ✓ unlearned,
    ✓ inexperienced,
    ✓ ignorant, and
    ✓ naive.
But they can be made wise.

What is the source of that?
The Word of God.
Scripture takes the naive, unexperienced, undiscerning, uninformed and brings to that individual wisdom.

The word “wise.” In Hebrew means to be skilled in the art of godly living.

It is to master the art of daily living, accomplished by the knowledge and application of the Word of God. In Scripture, God is always the source of wisdom and it is from above.

How can you not believe that the Word of God is not sufficient?
Do you have to believe in the human wisdom from the human resources all around us of sociology, psychology, and philosophy?
Is it necessary for preachers to go outside the Bible?

The testimony of God Himself is that His Word is sufficient to make the simple wise in the matter of the art of living life in the will of God.

Psalm 119:27, Make me understand the way of Your precepts; So shall I meditate on Your wonderful works.

Psalm 119:34, Give me understanding, and I shall keep Your law; Indeed, I shall observe it with my whole heart.

Psalm 119:66, Teach me good judgment and knowledge, For I believe Your commandments.

Psalm 119:98-100, You, through Your commandments, make me wiser than my enemies; For they are ever with me. 99 I have more understanding than all my teachers, For Your testimonies are my meditation. 100 I understand more than the ancients, Because I keep Your precepts.

Psalm 119:104, Through Your precepts I get understanding; Therefore I hate every false way.

Psalm 119:125, I am Your servant; Give me understanding, That I may know Your testimonies.

Psalm 119:169, Let my cry come before You, O Lord; Give me understanding according to Your word.

The psalmist knew that the source of wisdom was in the Word of God!
The Word of God is sufficient to transform the soul.
Word of God is sufficient in the matter of daily living to the glory of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basic Theology: Index

Basic Theology: Election

Jewish Wedding Parallel - Second Coming of Jesus - John 14:1-3